Is that you,Susan?
是你吗,Susan?
It's me,Grandpa,
是我,爷爷。
Am I glad to see you!
我看到你真的很高兴!
And am I glad to see you!
我看见你才高兴呢!
I am also glad to be here,
我很高兴来这里。
How are things?
近况如何?
I have been talking to a group of salesmen
我一直在与一群推销人员谈话,
since ten this morning,
从今天上午十点起,
and I'm real exhausted,
我实在是精疲力竭了。
Well,you look good,
嗯,你看起来蛮好的。
What's Harry doing tonight?
Harry今晚做什么?
He and Michelle
他和 Michelle
are visiting relatives in New Jersey today,
今天去 New Jersey拜访亲戚去了。
The rest of our family went to the movies,
我们家里其馀的人都去看电影了。
So it's just you and me,Susan,
所以,这里只有你和我,Susan。
It's nice to be alone with you,Grandpa,
很高兴单独与你在一起,爷爷。
We don't get to see enough of each other,
我们在一起的时间太少了。
Oh,I feel the same way,Susan,
噢,我也有同样的感受,Susan。
I miss seeing you,
我很想见到你。
But to tell the truth,
但是,老实说,
next time
下一次
I'd like to go into the city and meet you there,
我想到城里看你,
instead of you coming here,
而不是你到这里来,
You don't need to do that,Grandpa,
你不用这样,爷爷。
Yeah,I do,
不,我要这样。
I need to get out more,
我需要多出门去。
Well,I mean
我的意思是
there's a lot to do around the house,
这屋里有很多事可做,
and I love being here with the family,
而我也喜欢和家人在一起。
you know,
你知道的,
but I'm restless,
但我闲不住。
Since I retired,
自从我退休以后,
I've got extra time on my hands,
我有过多空闲时间。
I understand,Grandpa,
我能体会,爷爷。
I think you do,
我想你能体会。
Frankly,
坦白地说,
I'd like to use my brain a little more,
我想多用用我的脑子。
Grandpa,
爷爷,
you have so much energy and so many years of experience,
你精力这么好,又有这么多年的经验。
There are probably a lot of places for you to work
也许有很多地方可以让你去工作。
Particularly in the construction field,
特别是在营造界。
But at my age,
但是,像我这般年纪,
I'm not looking for a full-time job,
我不会去找一个上全天班的工作。
I'm retired,
我退休了。
But I'm bored,
但我感到无聊。
Well,there must be something,
嗯,一定可以找到事做。
Maybe I can help,
也许我能帮忙。
Let's go into the kitchen,
我们到厨房去,
and maybe you can help me set the table,
也许你能帮我摆桌子。
Sounds good to me,
我来。
What are we having?
我们吃些什么?
I prepared lamb chops,
我准备了羊肉,
mashed potatoes,and a tossed green salad to begin with,
马铃薯泥,还有蔬菜沙拉当头道菜。
Grandpa,you are a terrific guy!
爷爷,你真了不起!
You're still thinking about something to do,aren't you?
你还在想要找点事做,是吗?
A job of some kind,
找点工作。
That's right,
是的。
I've been thinking about it for weeks now,
为这事我想了几个星期。
There must be some way to put my mind to good use,
总会有办法让我发挥才智。
We'll find a solution,
我们会找到解决的办法。
A positive solution
一个好法子
to your finding a way to use that wonderful mind of yours,
能够让你施展你的学识。
Sam,would you come in,please?
Sam,请进来一下,好吗?
You sound like something's bothering you,Susan,
听起来好像你有什么心事,Susan?
The sketches for the cover of the new doll book?
是新玩具书的封面设计吗?
That's not it,
不是这种事,
Please sit down,
请坐下。
Sure,
好的。
I need your advice on a personsal matter,
我有件私事,需要听听你的高见,
but it's not about me,
但这不是关于我自己的事。
You need my advice on a personal matter,
你有私事需要听我的意见,
and it's not about you,OK,
而且不是关于你自己的。好吧。
It's about my grandfather,
是关于我爷爷。
What's the problem?
什么事?
It won't sound like a big deal,
这事听起来没啥严重,
but it is,
但实际上很要紧。
I had dinner with him Saturday,
星期六我与他一起吃晚餐,
and he's very unhappy about not working,
他对没有工作感到怏怏不乐。
I thought he was retired
我原以为他退休了,
and pleased to be living with the family,
乐于跟家人住在一起。
He is,
没有错。
but there's so much energy and talent in the man,
但是他有那么多的精力和才能,
and he doesn't get to use it,
却又用不上。
But what can I do?
但我能帮什么忙?
What kind of advice are you looking for?
你希望能得到什么建议?
Simply this,
简单说来是这样的。
John Marchetta runs this company,
John Marchetta 经营这家公司。
He founded this company,
他创办了这家公司。
Right,
对。
John Marchetta gave me my start here six years ago,
六年前,John Marchetta让我在这里起步
When I first graduated from college,
那时我刚从大学毕业。
He gave me the chance to use my talents
他提供给我施展才能的机会,
and made me feel more confident,
使我对自己更加有信心。
Right,
是的。
Maybe he can do the same thing for your grandfather,
也许他能为你爷爷做同样的事。
Or at least give him some advice,
再不然至少可以给他一些忠告。
Right,
对。
Then I've solved your problem,
说来我替你解决问题了。
I can always depend on you,Sam,
我知道我可以依靠你,Sam。
I'm glad to help,
我很乐意帮忙。
Shall I call Mr,Marchetta for you?
要我替你打电话给 Marchetta先生吗?
No,no,I'll do that,
不,不。我自己来,
Thanks,
谢谢你。
Now,how's the Stewart family?
那么,Stewart全家人都好吗?
Fine,thank you,Mr,Mrarchetta,
都好,谢谢你,Mrarchetta先生。
Except for my grandfather,
除了我爷爷。
What's wrong,Susan?
怎么啦,Susan?
What's wrong with him?
他怎么啦?
He needs to work,
他需要工作。
In fact,that is the reason why I'm here to see you,
事实上,这是我来见你的原因。
I know you're building a new factory,
我知道你在兴建一座新工厂,
and I thought,.,maybe,.,
我觉得……也许……
my grandfather is
我爷爷
so experienced in the construction trade,
在营造这一行业经验丰富,
he could be so valuable,
他或许能够有所用。
Tell him to come and see me
告诉他来见我
at ten o'clock tomorrow morning,
明天上午十点钟。
I have an idea that may solve the problem for him
我有个主意,也许能解决这个问题,
and help a lot of other people,
并且对其他很多人有益。
Really,Mr,Marchetta?
真的吗,Marchetta先生?
Can I tell him that?
我可以把这消息告诉他吗?
Sure can,
当然可以。
Ten o'clock in the morning,Here,
上午十点,在这里。
Oh,thank you!
噢,谢谢你!
Hi,I'm Malcolm Stewart,
嗨。我是 Malcolm Stewart。
John Marchetta,
我是 John Marchetta。
Sit down,sit down,
请坐,请坐。
Susan has told me a great deal about you,
Susan告诉我许多关于你的事。
She says you're quite a man,
她说你是个了不起的人。
She says
她也谈起
a lot of wonderful things about you too,Mr,Stewart,
不少你的非凡作为,Stewart先生。
That's always nice to hear,Mr,Marchetta,
听到这事总是好的,Marchetta先生。
Call me John,
叫我 John,
May I call you Malcolm?
我能称你 Malcolm 吗?
Let's talk business,
我们来谈谈正经事。
That's music to my ears,
正合我意。
I understand
听说
you used to be in the construction business,
你过去在营造界工作。
Yup,Forty-three years,
是的,四十叁年。
Here's a brief description
这是一份简单的记录
of forty-three years of on-the-job training,
关于我四十叁年的工作经历。
That is some history!
这阅历了不得!
You're a valuable asset,Malcolm,
你是很有价值的资产,Malcolm,
Very valuable,
很有价值。
Thank you,
谢谢你。
Yup,Forty-three years,
是的。四十叁年,
Half that time in my own construction company,
一半时间是在我自己的营造公司。
Big jobs--factories,shopping malls,
大的工程——工厂、大型购物中心
That kind of thing,
等等。
Then you retired,
然后你退休了。
Yes,
是的。
After my wife died,
我妻子去世后,
and I felt I should spend more time
我觉得应该多花些时间
with my children and grandchildren,
与儿子、孙子们在一起。
I lived in Florida,
我住在 Florida,
and they lived in New York,
而他们住在纽约。
I understand,
我了解。
My dautghter Cami lives in New York,
我女儿 Cami住在纽约。
I like being near her,
我喜欢离她近一点。
When I came here,
当我初到这里,
I planned to take a few months off,
我计划休息几个月。
Relax with the family and then look for some work,
与家人轻松一段时间,然后找个工作。
Put my experience on the line,.,
考验考验我的阅历……。
but,unfortunately,
但是,很不幸,
there isn't any work for a retired person my age,
没有我这种年纪的退休老人的工作。
Sometimes there is,
有时候有,
and sometimes there isn't,
有时候没有。
Well,I'm involved with an organization,
嗯,我参加一个组织,
and we're trying to resolve that problem,
试图解决这类问题。
What's that?
什么组织?
TOPS,
TOPS,
T-O-P-S--means Talented Older People's Society,
T-O-P-S 全名是优秀老人协会。
I'd like to be a member,
我想加入做为会员。
How much are the dues?
会费多少?
There are no dues,
不要会费。
The organization serves major companies in this city,
这个组织为本市各大公司服务。
Why?
为什么?
Because our members are men and women like you,
因为,这个组织的会员都是像你这样的人。
Experienced,talented,retired,
有经验,有才能,退休了。
But our members want to go out there
但会员们希望在社会上
and use their talents,
贡献他们的才能。
They want to work,
他们想工作。
That is fantastic,John!
那太好了,John!
I've got an idea for you,Malcolm,
我倒替你想出了一个主意,Malcolm。
Just fill out this form for me,
请把这份表填好。
It'll only take a few minutes,
只要几分钟时间。
Sit right here,
就坐在这里填,
and do it while I talk to my secretary,
我去和秘书说个话。
When I get back,we'll talk about my new factory,
我回来后,我们谈一谈我的新工厂。
My company is a member of TOPS,
我的公司也是优秀老人协会的会员,
So I try hard to find opportunities for people like you,
所以我努力为像你这样的人寻找机会,
Malcolm,
Malcolm。
And when I see an opportunity,
而且当我一看到机会,
I can act on it,
我就可以处理。
Well,I can use your brainpower on the job right now,
嗯,我马上可以将你的才智用在这项工程上
Have you got time this morning
今天上午你有时间
to go over to the construction site with me?
去看一看建筑工地吗?
I'd like to have you meet my foreman--
我希望带你去认识工头——
get some background on the job,
了解这项工程的一些背景。
I've got plenty of time,
我有的是时间。
I'll be right back,
我马上就回来。
We'll go over to the job site together,
我们等一会儿一起去工地。
Malcolm,you worked on the Spaceport project?
Malcolm,你曾负责「太空港」的案子?
My company was the contractor,
我的公司承包了这项工程。
I built the theater there
我建造这个剧院
with my own two hands,practically,
差不多是独自完成的。
I understand,
我明白了。
Well,
好的,
I'm glad to see you two guys getting along so well
看到你们两位相处得这么好我很高兴,
because,Danny,
因为Danny,
Malcolm is on the TOPS team,
Malcolm是 TOPS的一员。
He's going to be working with you for a while,
他将与你一起工作一段时间。
His experience will be valuable to both of us,
他的经验对你我都很有用。
Welcome aboard,Malcolm!
欢迎加入,Malcolm!
I'm going back to my office,
我要回办公室了。
Give me a call later,Malcolm,
请稍后打电话给我,Malcolm。
I'll tell you the time and date of the next TOPS meeting,
我要告诉你 TOPS下次聚会的时间。
I'd like you to meet the group,
我希望你能与协会的成员见面。
I will,John,
我会的,John。
And again--thanks,
再次谢谢你。
No,.,thank you,
不……谢谢你。
And thank Susan,
还要谢谢 Susan。
He's quite a man,
他是个了不起的人。
A real inspiration for me,
他给我很大的启发。
OK,Danny,
好啦,Danny。
I know you didn't expect to have me around,
我知道你没有预期我出现在你身边,
but I think I can be of some help to you,
但我觉得我可以对你略有帮助。
Let me tell you something,Malcolm,
我跟你说,Malcolm。
With your background and experience,
依你的背景和经验,
I can learn something
我能学到一些东西。
..,and I do need some advice on a difficult problem,
……我的确有一个难题要请教你。
Let me show you this,
我给你看看这个。
I don't want to give you a final opinion
我不想给你总结的意见,
without studying these building plans more carefully,
在没有仔细研究这些建筑图的情况下。
But a simple solution might be
但是,一个简单的解决办法可能是
to move the air-conditioning units
移动空调设备
instead of redesigning the entire system,
而不必重新设计整套系统。
It might be simpler and less expensive,
这样可能比较简单而且省钱。
You just earned your weight in gold,Malcolm,
你可帮了大忙,Malcolm。
Welcome aboard!
欢迎加入我们的行列!
It all happened so quickly!
这一切发生得太快了!
I can't believe it!
我简直不敢相信!
I'm glad Mr,Marchetta was so helpful,
我真高兴,Marchetta先生如此帮忙。
He was more than helpful,
他不仅仅是帮忙。
He actually took me to meet his foreman,
事实上他带着我去见他的工头。
I'm thrilled for you,Grandpa,
我真为你兴奋,爷爷。
I don't know how to thank you,Susan,
我不知道如何谢你,Susan。
You're a wonderful granddaughter,
你真是个好孙女。
It's good to see you so happy,
能看见你如此高兴,太好了。
I'll be at the construction site tomorrow,
明天我要去工地,
What are you doing tomorrow night?
你明天晚上做什么?
I'm not doing anything,
我没有要做什么。
Why?
怎样?
How about a date with your grandfather?
和你爷爷约个会好吗?
I owe you a good steak dinner,
我欠你一顿牛排晚餐。
I'll accept,
我接受邀请。
Tomorrow night,
明天晚上。
You and me,Dinner,
你和我。吃晚饭。
What time?
什么时候?
I'll pick you up here at seven,
我七点钟到这里来接你。
Is that OK?
可以吗?
I can't wait!
我盼望着那个时候!
And you can tell me
到时候你就可以告诉我`
all about your first full day back on the job,
关于你重回工作第一天的全部情况了。
It's a deal!
就这么约定!